Frequently Asked Questions about hosted.IM
- What do I need to register? — All you need is a company domain name and a couple of spare minutes. The registration process doesn't take long to complete and can be done online, by following the simple instructions on the home page of this web site.
- Do I need to have an existing instant messaging account? — No. Though if you do have one, you can simplify your instant messaging communications by using your existing account (MSN, Yahoo, AOL etc) from within your new personalised instant messaging account.
- Is this service really free of charge? — Yes! If you have up to five users, there is no charge at all. Charges will apply for companies that want to register more than five users or to use optional servicies. Currently we offer several commercial User Packs to manage domains with up to 10, 25, 50, 75 or 100 users. You can manage the User Pack for your domain going to the "HOME" menu, "My domains", then clicking on the option "Update domain" nexto to your XMPP domain. If you want additional information, please contact ProcessOne for details.
- What is the catch? — There isn't one! This service is being offered by ProcessOne to enable small businesses and work groups to find out about instant messaging and discover how it can be used effectively within the work place. So, sign up and start messaging!
- Why can't I send messages to gmail users? — If you run Google Apps and you've enabled chat in your control panel, you can't run hosted.im, unless you disable Google Apps internal xmpp service. For more information you can read here.
- I need to support more users on my XMPP domain. Is it possible? — hosted.IM offers different plans according to your needs. Currently we offer two optional services to allow up to 25 or 50 users, depending on the selected plan.
- In case of contracting a commercial service: What payment methods are available? — You can make payments with Visa or Mastercard credit cards.
- In case of contracting a commercial service: When should I pay? — You can buy at any time as many credit as you want and top up it on your account. After the end of each month, hosted.IM will try to automatically debit from your account the calculated monthly costs for the contracted services. If the available credit is not enough, hosted.IM will remind you about this fact to allow you to top-up your account. All amounts are in euros.
- In case of contracting a commercial service: How monthly costs are calculated? — All commercial services have an associated monthly price. This is the applied rate when services were in vigency during an entire month. Amounts on services offered during periods of less than one month are calculated proportionally according to the number of days of the month, the monthly price and total days of actual service. Fractions of time less than 24 hours are rounded up in a full day. Example: 1 1⁄2 days of service are considered in the computations as a period of two days or 48 hours.
- Can I skip the DNS configuration? — hosted.IM requires a minimum guarantee about domain ownership. For this reason, the service requires you to add a TXT entry type on your DNS, with an ID generated by hosted.IM. However, you have the option to configure specific DNS registries for XMPP protocol later, that way you can evaluate the quality of our service without the need to change your current DNS setup.
- I have problems uploading my photo on my personal vcard. Why? — Photos or avatars can be attached to your vCard using any XMPP client supporting it, but you should keep into account that the maximum size allowed for your image is 64 Kb.
- My domain is hosted by another service, however I can't connect with users inside another domain hosted by hosted.IM. What's the problem? — The most probable cause of this problem is that your domain is also registered under hosted.IM, so your message arrives to the user but the reply does not, because hosted.IM locates your domain locally and doesn't establish a server-to-server (s2s) connection, as it can be resolved internally. However the service is hosted outside hosted.IM, and the reply message never arrives. Solution: remove your domain from either hosted.IM or the external server.
- I can't connect with users inside an external domain. What's the problem? — Probably its the opposite of the previous scenario: the system administrator of the other domain has registered his domain on hosted.IM but it is offering his service from another server. Solution: you should contact the system administrator of the external domain and tell him to remove the domain from either hosted.IM or the external server.
- How can I connect to IRC channels using hosted.IM? — You can access the IRC gateway from within your chat client. If its enabled, you should see it after a service discovery process. If you want to use the IRC Gateway, remember to specify the room name with the format IRCRoom%IRCServer. Example: freebsd.be%irc.freenode.net.
- hosted.IM offers a service for regular XMPP users to check their conversation history? — Yes, we offer such service as an optional feature for your domain. After enabling it, users within your domain can access the Message Archiving portal with the same JID and password used to authenticate via XMPP.
imhost-1.25.2 - © 2008 - 2018 ProcessOne
. Hosted.IM service is provided by ProcessOne
, experts in instant messaging solutions.
Are you sure you want to remove your account completely from hosted.IM? This action can't be reverted.
In order to improve the quality of our service, we would like you to provide us with some feedback about the reason of the unregistration (such as a missing feature, high cost, low reliability, or any other problem you might have had). Our support team will be contacting you as soon as possible.